Larry Nassar: A Controversial Figure in the World of Gymnastics
- Age: 58 (born August 16, 1965)
- Height: 5’10”
- Wife: Ashley Nation (married 2016)
- Children: None
- Family: Parents: John and Mary Nassar
- Career: Former USA Gymnastics doctor
- Net worth: $1 million (estimated)
- More info: Nassar was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison in 2018 after pleading guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree. He was accused of sexually abusing hundreds of young girls under the guise of medical treatment.
Nassar was born in Holt, Michigan, and attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in kinesiology. He then went on to earn a doctorate in human medicine from Michigan State. After graduating, Nassar worked as a sports medicine physician at Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics.
Nassar’s abuse of young girls came to light in 2016, when several gymnasts came forward with allegations against him. Nassar was eventually charged with multiple counts of criminal sexual conduct, and he pleaded guilty to seven counts in 2018. He was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison.
Nassar’s abuse has had a profound impact on the world of gymnastics. USA Gymnastics has been heavily criticized for its handling of the allegations against Nassar, and the organization has undergone a number of changes in recent years. Nassar’s abuse has also led to a number of lawsuits against USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University.
Nassar’s case is a reminder of the importance of protecting children from sexual abuse. It is also a reminder that even those in positions of trust can be capable of committing horrific crimes.